“Our Belief System – The Foundation of Our Program”
- It takes no talent to play hard.
- An all-out explosion for 5 -6 seconds.
- Run and chase the ball on both sides.
- Finish every play – never have a Loaf
- Practice hard every day to develop habits that will carry over into the game.
- We want to be the hardest playing team in the area. I want people when they watch our film to say those guys play their asses off and they will strike you.
- Know your assignments inside and out. You can never ask a dumb question. Don’t be afraid to say that you don’t understand something.
- The team that makes the fewest mistakes, in any sport, wins 90% of the time.
- What happens when you don’t lose a fumble, don’t throw an interception, don’t experience a turnover? “It’s all about the ball!”
- Penalties – we want to be the least penalized team in the league. True evaluation of discipline.
- Missed assignments and missed alignments will get you beat more than mismatches.
- Our belief has to be that if we can eliminate beating ourselves, then we force an opponent to beat us.
What does that word tough mean? Physical and Mental Toughness
- How well do you run the ball? How well do you stop the run?
- How well you execute in short yardage situations offensively and defensively.
- How well you play in goal-line situations offensively and defensively.
- How many three plays and out series you are involved in offensively and defensively.
- How you perform following a giveaway or takeaway.
- Kick-Off and Punt coverage.
- How many giveaways allowed – how many takeaways achieved?
- How little or how much bitching you do as you are worked to improve or maintain toughness.
- How well you perform coming out of the locker room after halftime.
UNSELFISHNESS / TEAM PLAYER
No individual is ever bigger than the team. The ultimate goal of a Hawk is to put the team before yourself. It is very hard sometimes to cheer on your teammate when you are competing for the same position. As an OLATHE EAST HAWK, all your focus should be on helping your team to be victorious. Individual accolades should be a byproduct of team victory and success and not your individual motivation. Selfishness is a disease that rips apart a team at a rapid rate.
NO EXCUSES / DO YOUR JOB
If you live being prepared, disciplined, and taking responsibility for your actions, you should never have to make excuses for anything you do or say. Excuses are the tools of losers, and a sign of laziness. Remember, you choose what you want to be and who you are.